If you’re studying to be a doctor, you may have to write papers on various conditions during your time as a student. Often, pre-med students must write a diabetes research paper.
Because this illness isn’t new, it can seem difficult to find anything interesting or unique to say about it. That’s why it’s a smart idea to pay attention to any and all recent news stories regarding diabetes. In 2016 alone, there were several interesting developments covered in the media. 2017 looks to be no different, with scientists frequently revealing surprising findings.
For your research paper, consider one of the following topics:
- Researchers have discovered evidence indicating that people who drink alcohol three to four times per week are actually at less of a risk of developing diabetes than people who never drink. This is an especially smart topic to cover because it is a surprising story. Choosing this topic will give you the opportunity to try and determine why drinkers are less likely to become diabetics.
- On the other hand, there is also new research suggesting that adults who exhibit pre-diabetic symptoms are more likely to develop a full case of Type 2 diabetes if they don’t get proper sleep at night. You could compose a very interesting research paper in which you explain the link between sleep and diabetes.
- Researchers already know that adults who spend a lot of time during the day sitting in front of screens are more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes. However, a recent study has also shown that excessive screen time has the same effect on children. Covering this story is a very smart idea because it merges two topics commonly studied in diabetes research—factors influencing how children develop diabetes, and how sitting in front of a screen contributes to adults developing diabetes—allowing you to approach two familiar subjects in a new, interesting way.
- If you’re planning on becoming a doctor one day, it’s important to not only understand the conditions you are going to treat but also the ways in which physicians may fail to adequately treat them. A recent article suggests that many primary care doctors are unable to accurately identify all the symptoms of someone who is suffering from prediabetes. Write a research paper in which you further explore how doctors aren’t providing the most thorough treatment they can.
- Although it’s been studied for decades, mindfulness meditation has become a popular topic for both medical doctors and average readers interested in learning more about how they can boost their health. A study indicating that mindfulness meditation reduces stress in patients who suffer from diabetes and similar conditions could inspire a very relevant research paper that covers an element of this topic people too often overlook: how to help patients cope with the stress of being ill.
These ideas are just a few of the stories you may cover in your research paper. The important point to remember is that when you’re writing about a topic like diabetes, you don’t need to simply rehash what others have said before. By paying attention to recent developments, you can submit a paper that’s truly unique and interesting.